Garage Doors: Which Style Suits Your House Best?
When you’re renovating your home, it’s easy to overlook outdated garage doors. We tend to think of them as more functional than fashionable. But consider how much real estate your garage doors take up on the front of your house. They are a significant part of your home’s curb appeal, and they’re often the first thing people see when they visit. So which garage door style would work best with your house? Do some architectural designs work better with certain doors?
From carriage-style doors to faux wood accents, A1 Garage Doors carries the top brands and styles you need. Check out our selection of garage doors to pick one that sets you apart from your neighbors! Our experts are always happy to recommend the best brand, style, color, and garage door opener for your home. Call us today to learn more!
Popular Garage Door Styles
Trends come and go, but some garage door styles have been around a long time because they are versatile and look good with any house. These popular styles can be brought into the modern age with custom windows, glass, and other details.
Door Style: Traditional Panel
Looks Best With: Any Home Style
Panel doors are the ones that probably come to mind when you think about garage doors. They are the simple metal or fiberglass doors made of horizontal panels. You see them everywhere in middle-class suburbs on ranch-style brick homes. Some of the doors are very old and might look like they’ve seen better days, but the style itself goes with any architectural design, especially if you choose a color that complements the home’s front door, roof, and window trim.
Door Style: Carriage House
Looks Best With: Colonial and Victorian Homes
Carriage house garage doors take their names from – you guessed it – carriage houses. In the Victorian era and earlier, the automobile hadn’t yet been invented. Homeowners kept their horse-drawn carriages in small houses near their main home. Those carriage houses had beautiful doors that swung open to allow the carriage to pass. Today’s carriage-style garage doors can open out or upward for your convenience.
Door Style: Modern
Looks Best With: Modern and Contemporary Homes
Modern garage doors can vary in appearance, but they tend to have sleek, minimalist lines. They come in metal or fiberglass planks with as much or as little glass as you want. More glass allows in more natural light, but less glass gives you greater privacy. Frosted glass is one option that would allow for both light and privacy. Try a brushed or stainless steel door for an ultramodern appearance.
Which Material Should You Choose?
After you choose the door style you like best, it’s time to select a material. Each choice has its pros and cons.
- Wooden garage doors are heavy and expensive. They also require some maintenance. However, the warm look and feel of wood is impossible to duplicate in other materials. Many homeowners feel the beauty is worth the price.
- Vinyl is affordable and low-maintenance. It requires very little in the way of upkeep; a water hose is usually sufficient to clean it. Vinyl garage doors come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Fiberglass garage doors can look like wood, but they are water- and insect-resistant. They won’t get damaged or warp when exposed to moisture. Like vinyl, they are easy to clean and maintain.
- Aluminum is a very lightweight metal that won’t rust, unlike the heavier steel doors. It can be costly, but it makes a good material for doors and window frames.
- Steel is a very tough, strong metal. Left untreated, it is vulnerable to rust. If you choose steel garage doors, have them painted or powder-coated to prevent rusting. They are some of the best doors for insulating your garage against sound and extreme temperatures.
A1 Garage Doors: Denver’s Best Choice for Garage Doors and Openers
When you need new garage doors, choose the most trusted source in Denver and the surrounding areas! A1 sells the best garage doors and openers on the market. We also repair garage doors and offer a 24-hour emergency repair service. Give us a call today!